Contents of Post
- 1 Best WordPress Security Firewall Plugins to Keep Our Website Site Secure
- 1.1 Wordfence Security
- 1.2 WORDFENCE SECURITY FEATURES
- 1.3 iThemes Security (formerly Better WP Security)
- 1.4 BulletProof Security
- 1.5 Sucuri Security – Auditing, Malware Scanner and Security Hardening
- 1.6 All In One WP Security & Firewall
- 1.7 BULLETPROOF SECURITY
Best WordPress Security Firewall Plugins to Keep Our Website Site Secure
WordPress is most used CMS among the others. WordPress is most popular Blogging platform in the World. Lots of Popular blogs are using WordPress to provide their contents to regular and new readers. WordPress is an open source platform that lets you create beautiful websites on-line. The advantage of having a website built on WordPress is that we have the edge over easy website management because WordPress provides lots of plugins to website owners to manage their sites.
As we know Millions of websites including various popular blogs are using WordPress as a content publishing platform. So, hackers are also more interested in hacking WordPress based websites. WordPress usually pushes updates to patch all the known vulnerabilities, but third party themes and plugins make WordPress vulnerable. Sometimes hackers also find vulnerabilities in WordPress that allow them to hack the whole server.
So, as you are a WordPress user, you must take care of security. You must always keep your WordPress installation, Website contents and plugins updated and secure.
In this post, we’re going to discuss some of the best WordPress security plugins that can help reduce the risk of your website being hacked. These security plugins offer several features to make your WordPress blog secure from known vulnerabilities. The list contains plugins for access control, login security, spam protection, content theft protection, backup tools, file integrity monitoring, email protection, firewall and much more.
Here is a list of some of the top security plugins that can be used to keep your WordPress site secured
THE MOST DOWNLOADED WORDPRESS SECURITY PLUGIN
WordPress security is all we do. Secure your WordPress website with Wordfence. Powered by the constantly updated Threat Defense Feed, our Web Application Firewall stops you from getting hacked. Wordfence Scan leverages the same proprietary feed, alerting you quickly in the event your site is compromised. Wordfence Security Live Traffic view gives you real-time visibility into traffic and hack attempts on your WordPress website. A deep set of additional tools round out the most complete WordPress security solution available.
With over 22 million downloads, Wordfence is the most popular WordPress security plugin available. Wordfence Security is 100% free and open source. We also offer a Premium API key that gives you Premium Support, Country Blocking, Scheduled Scans, Password Auditing, real-time updates to the Threat Defense Feed, two-factor authentication, and we even check if your website IP address is being used to Spamvertize. Click here to sign-up for Wordfence Premium now or simply install Wordfence free and start protecting your website.
Wordfence Security is Multi-Site compatible and includes Cellphone Sign-in which permanently secures your WordPress website from brute force hacks.
WORDFENCE SECURITY FEATURES
- Web Application Firewall stops you from getting hacked by identifying malicious traffic, blocking attackers before they can access your website.
- Threat Defense Feed automatically updates firewall rules that protect you from the latest threats. Premium members receive the real-time version.
- Block common WordPress security threats like fake Googlebots, malicious scans from hackers and botnets.
- Real-time blocking of known attackers. If another site using Wordfence is attacked and blocks the attacker, your site is automatically protected.
- Block entire malicious networks. Includes advanced IP and Domain WHOIS to report malicious IP’s or networks and block entire networks using the firewall. Report WordPress security threats to network owner.
- Rate limit or block WordPress security threats like aggressive crawlers, scrapers and bots doing security scans for vulnerabilities in your site.
- Choose whether you want to block or throttle users and robots who break your WordPress security rules.
- Premium users can also block countries and schedule scans for specific times and a higher frequency.
WORDPRESS LOGIN SECURITY
- Sign-in using your password and your cellphone to vastly improve login security. This is called Two Factor Authentication and is used by banks, government agencies and military world-wide for highest security authentication.
- Enforce strong passwords among your administrators, publishers and users. Improve login security.
- Checks the strength of all user and admin passwords to enhance login security.
- Includes login security to lock out brute force hacks and to stop WordPress from revealing info that will compromise WordPress security.
- Scans core files, themes and plugins against WordPress.org repository versions to check their integrity. Verify security of your source.
- See how files have changed. Optionally repair changed files that are security threats.
- Scans for signatures of over 44,000 known malware variants that are known WordPress security threats.
- Scans for many known backdoors that create security holes including C99, R57, RootShell, Crystal Shell, Matamu, Cybershell, W4cking, Sniper, Predator, Jackal, Phantasma, GFS, Dive, Dx and many many more.
- Continuously scans for malware and phishing URL’s including all URLs on the Google Safe Browsing List in all your comments, posts and files that are security threats.
- Scans for heuristics of backdoors, trojans, suspicious code and other security issues.
- See all your traffic in real-time, including robots, humans, 404 errors, logins and logouts and who is consuming most of your content. Enhances your situational awareness of which security threats your site is facing.
- Real-time traffic includes reverse DNS and city-level geolocation. Know which geographic area security threats originate from.
- Monitor your DNS security for unauthorized DNS changes.
- Monitors disk space which is related to security because many DDoS attacks attempt to consume all disk space to create denial of service.
MULTI-SITE WORDPRESS SECURITY
- Wordfence Security for multi-site also scans all posts and comments across all blogs from one admin panel.
- WordPress Multi-Site (or WordPress MU in the older parlance) compatible.
- Fully IPv6 compatible including all whois lookup, location, blocking and security functions.
MAJOR THEME AND PLUGINS SUPPORTED
- Includes support for other major plugins and themes like WooCommerce.
FREE LEARNING CENTER
- The Wordfence website includes an in-depth WordPress Security Learning Center.
The Wordfence WordPress security plugin is full-featured and constantly updated by our team to incorporate the latest security features and to hunt for the newest security threats to your WordPress website.
iThemes Security is a WordPress security plugin that claims to provide 30+ ways to secure and protect your WordPress website from attacks. It strengthens user credentials by fixing common vulnerabilities and automated attacks. The plugin is available in both free and premium versions.
iThemes covers all of the following:
- Two-factor authentication
- Brute force protection
- Monitoring core files for any changes
- Ticketed support (for pro users)
- Logging user actions
- Locking out users for multiple incorrect credential attempts
- Forcing the use of secure passwords for specific user roles and file permissions
ITHEMES BRUTE FORCE ATTACK PROTECTION NETWORK
iThemes Security takes brute force attack protection to the next level by banning users who have tried to break into other sites from breaking into yours. The iThemes Brute Force Attack Protection Network will automatically report IP addresses of failed login attempts and will block them for a length of time necessary to protect your site based on the number of sites that have seen a similar attack.
iThemes Security works to protect your site by blocking bad users and increasing the security of passwords and other vital information.
- Prevents brute force attacks by banning hosts and users with too many invalid login attempts
- Scans your site to instantly report where vulnerabilities exist and fixes them in seconds
- Bans troublesome user agents, bots and other hosts
- Strengthens server security
- Enforces strong passwords for all accounts of a configurable minimum role
- Forces SSL for admin pages (on supporting servers)
- Forces SSL for any page or post (on supporting servers)
- Turns off file editing from within WordPress admin area
- Detects and blocks numerous attacks to your filesystem and database
BulletProof Security is another popular WordPress security plugin that takes care of various things. It adds firewall security, database security, login security and more. It comes with four-click setup interface. Just activate this plugin and then relax. It will take care of your website.
Secure WordPress Website Security Protection: Firewall Security, Login Security, Database Security & Backup… View Security feature highlights below. View BulletProof Security feature details for specific details about security features. Secure your WordPress website even further by adding additional BulletProof Security Bonus Custom Code (See the BulletProof Security Bonus Custom Code help section). Effective, Reliable & Easy to use WordPress Security Plugin.
BULLETPROOF SECURITY FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS
- One-Click Setup Wizard
- .htaccess Website Security Protection (Firewalls)
- Hidden Plugin Folders|Files Cron (HPF)
- Login Security & Monitoring
- Idle Session Logout (ISL)
- Auth Cookie Expiration (ACE)
- DB Backup: Full|Partial DB Backups | Manual|Scheduled DB Backups | Email Zip Backups | Cron Delete Old Backups
- DB Backup Logging
- DB Table Prefix Changer
- Security Logging
- HTTP Error Logging
- FrontEnd|BackEnd Maintenance Mode
- UI Theme Skin Changer (3 Theme Skins)
- Extensive System Info
Sucuri is a globally recognized authority in all matters related to
website security, with specialization in WordPress Security.
The Sucuri Security WordPress Security plugin is free to all WordPress users.
It is a security suite meant to complement your existing security posture with Seven key security features:
- Security Activity Audit Logging
- File Integrity Monitoring
- Remote Malware Scanning
- Blacklist Monitoring
- Effective Security Hardening
- Post-Hack Security Actions
- Security Notifications
Sucuri offers a free plugin that is available in the WordPress repository. This plugin offers various security features like malware scanning, security activity auditing, blacklist monitoring, effective security hardening, file integrity monitoring, and a website firewall. It is a security suite meant to complement your existing security posture.
The Sucuri plugin tracks all activity on your site. This includes when users log in or when changes are made to your site. This way, if there is a breach in security, you’ll be able to review the activity logs and find out what happened.
All In One WP Security & Firewall is also among the most popular WordPress security plugins. It has a user-friendly interface for those who are not familiar with advanced security settings. This plugin protects your website by checking vulnerabilities and implementing the latest techniques and security measures.
One useful feature of All in One WP Security & Firewall is a meter on your dashboard that gives your site a score of how secure it is. By adding additional security options, you can increase your score.
It also has a security scanner that keeps track of files and notifies you about each change in your WordPress system. It can also detect malicious code in your WordPress website.
Below is a list of the security and firewall features offered in this plugin:
USER ACCOUNTS SECURITY
- Detect if there is a user account which has the default “admin” username and easily change the username to a value of your choice.
- The plugin will also detect if you have any WordPress user accounts which have identical login and display names. Having account’s where display name is identical to login name is bad security practice because
you are making it 50% easier for hackers because they already know the login name.
- Password strength tool to allow you to create very strong passwords.
- Stop user enumeration. So users/bots cannot discover user info via author permalink.
- USER LOGIN SECURITY
- USER REGISTRATION SECURITY
- DATABASE SECURITY
- FILE SYSTEM SECURITY
- HTACCESS AND WP-CONFIG.PHP FILE BACKUP AND RESTORE
- BLACKLIST FUNCTIONALITY
- FIREWALL FUNCTIONALITY
- BRUTE FORCE LOGIN ATTACK PREVENTION
- COMMENT SPAM SECURITY
Another popular plugin that helps to secure your WordPress website is BulletProof Security. This plugin provides single click security solution. It secures your website against RFI, XSS, CRLF, SQL injection, and code injection hackings.
The full list of features included with BulletProof security is too long to list, but here are a few:
• An easy single-click setup
• A record of the number of login attempts
• File monitoring and quarantining of uploaded files
• Email alerts for a variety of user actions
• Alerts when suspected malicious activity affects your site
It also has a pro version that offers some advanced features to improve the security of your website.
With an increasing number of hacking attacks, it is necessary to have security in your WordPress website. The security plugins mentioned above will help you with that. For users who don’t code a lot, plugins are the best ways to secure your blog. Most of them are free, safe and easily usable.
Over to You
In this post you have read some security and firewall plugins for wordpress website. Out there are lots are Security plugins but these are some most usable and reliable security and firewall plugins to secure the WordPress Websoite. among them YouMegeeK.com is also using one of them is Wordfence Security
Please comment and let the others know which security and firewall plugin you are using for your website.